In most military aerobatic teams today, display flying and ground crew duties are coupled to a full-time posting in a dedicated squadron. The Silver Falcons, however, is a part-time team. Pilots and ground crew all perform display duties as an over-and-above task to their primary postings.
Based at Air Force Base Langebaanweg on the South African West Coast, the Silver Falcons are all full-time ab-initio flying instructors at the Central Flying School.
To date, 95 pilots have been selected to fly in 71 different teams for the Silver Falcons. Each pilot is assigned a unique, sequential number. Whenever one or more team members change, a new team number is also allocated.These images are of the 71st Silver Falcons team,which includes their first ever female pilot.
The members of the 71st Silver Falcons team are;Falcon 1 – Capt Roy Sproul (Leader)
- Falcon 2 – Capt Heybrech van Niekerk (first female member)
- Falcon 3 – Capt Buti Tsebe
- Falcon 4 – Capt Gerhard Lourens
- Falcon 5 – Maj Beau Skarda
- Read more about them at their official website, www.silverfalcons.co.za